Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Just scored a pair of 3pi speakers!
Re: Just scored a pair of 3pi speakers! [message #62102 is a reply to message #62100] Tue, 16 March 2010 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
krikor is currently offline  krikor
Baron
NWCgrad wrote on Tue, 16 March 2010 13:29
krikor, Are you still happy with your 3pi speakers? I am getting set to build 4pi's (primarily for HT) that will also serve in place of my maggie MMGs for two channel duty.

Thanks for the great review!

Since last Thursday? Still VERY happy. I put the MG1.6s back in the mix on Sunday and was surprised when I found myself itching to get back to the 3Pi. The Maggies strike me as having a more extended and clearer top end, and definitely more oompf down low (I've been listening without my subs) with that great planar dipole bass.

However, I don't know if it's because of the Pi's constant directivity that lets me place the speakers wider apart without creating a hole in the middle, the wider sweet spot, reductions in room interactions or what... but I just had to get the 3pis back in place. They've got a naturalness, solid imaging and ease (effortlessness?) that is enticing.

There is a bit of roughness/grittiness to the top end of my 3pis... sizzle rather than a clear shimmer, if that makes sense... and a thickness or congestion in the upper midrange that calls attention to itself on vocals. But bear in mind these are older 3Pi with the PSD2002 tweeter and no zobel compensation network on the woofer.

I'm hoping that the crossover and tweeter DE250 tweeter upgrade I'm doing will help give me that final push over the edge that makes me relinquish the Maggies... not that I want them to go (though the room does look bigger without those big monoliths), but if the Pis give me more of the sound I'm looking for and enjoy, so be it.

If it all works out, I'll be building a pair of 4Pi in the near future.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message