Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Impressions and Recommendations - 3pi and 4pi variants (Choosing an upgrade path from old 3pi)
icon5.gif  Impressions and Recommendations - 3pi and 4pi variants [message #62046] Thu, 11 March 2010 11:58 Go to previous message
krikor is currently offline  krikor
Baron
As you can probably surmise from my previous post, I'm liking the 3pi speakers a lot even in the very short time I've had this older used pair... enough that I'm starting to consider upgrade and improvement paths.

I've been scouring the threads and have come across some comments and comparisons between the different 3pi/4pi variants, but it's tough to make sense of it that way... so I thought I'd just ask.

Wayne or anyone else please chime in on the following:

1. What type of improvement can I expect going from the older xover to the latest? (I assume this would yield the greatest bang for my buck)

2. What type of improvement can I expect going from the PSD2002 tweeter to the DE250?

3. The 3pi and 4pi seem very similar, small differences in size and price aside it seems like a matter of woofer preference. What is the sonic difference between these two models... why choose one over the over? Upgraded woofer differences?

Thanks in advance for any input as I weigh my cost-to-performance options.

Size-wise, 3pi or 4pi work for me... 4pi size is preferable but I may stick with the 3pi for expediency since I've already got the cabs. I also saw a reference to putting the top of a 6pi/7pi on the 3pi/4pi bass bins, which is also possible since my room can't accommodate corner horns... benefits being a better midrange?

Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: tractrix horn/driver throat matching
Next Topic: 3 Pi subwoofer mounting question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 17 00:16:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects