Home » Audio » Speaker » Bi/Tri Amplification and Arrays
Re: Bi/Tri Amplification and Arrays [message #61241 is a reply to message #61220] Tue, 20 October 2009 13:59 Go to previous message
darkmoebius2 is currently offline  darkmoebius2
Baron
Marlboro wrote on Sun, 18 October 2009 12:34
I also don't relate to your use of the implied insult that because(if) Mr. Clarke was into high end audio that has any bearing on his ability to test amps.
That wasn't my implied point. What I was trying to point out was that Clark originally created this test for car audio amplifiers and systems. Design criterion for the auto industry is significantly different than that of the home audio market. Compact size and gross wpc have been the primary goal for auto amps, with distortion spectra and other characteristics coming a distant third.

With that in mind, and the fact you seem to agree with his hypothesis, are you interested in using car maps in your home system? It wouldn't be that hard to use a step-down transformer to drive their 12V needs.
Quote:
Someone who chooses to try to discredit someone by claiming that he's unable to understand differences between amps because he's into car audio as if that was a deciding factor when it really has nothing to do with his tests, just doesn't work for me.
You have jumped to the wrong conclusion, Marlboro. My point was simply that the goals/criterion of car audio amp manufacturers and home audio, with regard to performance, are not necessarily the same.
Quote:
p.s.: over the past 40 years, I've owned alot of different amps and receivers. Except the signal to noise ratio, I've never been able to tell the difference between any of them playing real music.
Wow, my SE(T) amps sound significantly different than each other. My Art Audio PX-25, sounded different than my Welborne DRD 300B, and those were markedly different than my Audio Sterling ETSE (EL34) or Almarro A318A & A318B (w/ passive volume attenuator bypassed).

Now, did I do a double-blind test with them - no. But, sound levels were adjusted with my SPL meters when comparing.

Anyway, I was just trying to say that I can believe that there is little sonic difference between most car audio amps, and maybe even a lot of SS home audio amps(not all, see Firstwatt series amps), but to extrapolate out to all amps is a stretch that begs credulity. I have compared similar wpc tube amps and heard significant differences between low-powered SEP/SET/PP amps.

I think the big problem with his test regarding tube amps, is that in most/all SET amps, the power supply is clearly part of the signal path. Making PS part of the gain & output stage. I think Ultrapath topologies tried to separate that out.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Consider Using Tube Enclosures for your Speakers......
Next Topic: Something Different
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 20:15:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout