Home » Audio » Speaker » Bi/Tri Amplification and Arrays
Re: Bi/Tri Amplification and Arrays [message #61220 is a reply to message #61218] Sun, 18 October 2009 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've read all the stuff about it and don't agree with you.

I also don't relate to your use of the implied insult that because(if) Mr. Clarke was into high end car audio that has any bearing on his ability to test amps.

And yes, he's only talking about transister/solid state amps. Although he has tested tube amps in the system.

Having followed the arguments on several forums, I did not see any changes to his original rules except to modify the trials for the first go around, and his unwillingness to keep taking all his gear all over creation for nothing.

But he was only ever testing the amplifier sections of amps, and admittedly on his part, amps are often different due to power supply and ability to handle different circumstances. He never said some amps aren't better than others; he clearly indicated that many amps are better, just that the human ear can tell the difference between amplifier sections of amps above a certain quality level.

And my use of the example is that line arrays using electronic crossovers and tri amping are closer to circumstances of total non-stress to the amp so as to make it a lot like his amp test: there may be less of a difference between amps when they are used in a tri-amped line array.

Marlboro

p.s.: over the past 40 years, I've owned alot of different amps and receivers. Except the signal to noise ratio, I've never been able to tell the difference between any of them playing real music. I've already has a couple of changes in the amplification on my line array, and quite honestly, I couldn't tell a difference, and I'm not even into Car Stereo. Wink

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Consider Using Tube Enclosures for your Speakers......
Next Topic: Something Different
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 12 00:39:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout