Home » Audio » Speaker » Horn Loaded woofers vs Line array woofers Question
Re: Horn Loaded woofers vs Line array woofers Question [message #61216 is a reply to message #61214] Sun, 18 October 2009 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Marlboro wrote on Sun, 18 October 2009 11:02
But.... Bill F. says that I could get lowered distortion, and higher dynamic range from the 30-165hz range by using a dual Table Tuba system from his website.

Because..... "THD with direct radiators isn't even close to the low levels achievable with a folded horn"

and

"As for a line array, there's little if any benefit to one versus a cluster array with the nearly 7 foot wavelength of 165 Hz."

Any comments here?

Everyone has biases, and the only way to filter out the biases is to try to gain alternative opinions, and then make comparisons.
In order to do that, I've been asking the same basic questions in several forums which have mostly different people posting to them. Each person's bias tends to downplay the negative aspects of their own particular viewpoint. I respect Bill's opinion, but he's clearly of the view that horn loading is the answer everywhere. I'm trying to find some kind of middle road that I can actually do either now or in the future, and that fits my specific needs both in the current system and in the future when I have more money(if that ever happens) Rolling Eyes

I don't want to speak directly about Bill's designs because I think that would be rude. But I would suggest that you look at the measurements made of his speakers at the Prosound Shootouts in 2005, 2006 and 2007. There are SPL and distortion measurements made there with an LMS system outdoors. Doesn't get more accurate than that. Several systems were measured so you can compare them there. Since they were all made on the same day, in the same environment and with the same test plan, the comparison is as fair and unbiased as you can get.

You know, I'm a horn guy. I use horns in everything I make. But there are some places where horns aren't appropriate, in my opinion. And then there is always also the matter that a poorly formed horn is a peaky, nasty thing. So as with all things, I think there's a time and place for everything.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Horn Loaded woofers
Next Topic: Hornresp