Home » Audio » Speaker » Struggling with understanding TONALITY in speakers
Re: Struggling with understanding TONALITY in speakers [message #61107 is a reply to message #61103] Tue, 29 September 2009 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
darkmoebius2 is currently offline  darkmoebius2
Baron
I don't think that quote gets it right - seems to me that the author is really discussing clarity, definition, and accuracy more than tonality. At least, not what I think of when talking about tone. For me tonality is the ability to capture the notes in a realistic sense. Not just the note, itself, but that note with respect to how that particular instrument(and artist) resonates and sounds. For some reason. I always think of cellos when tonality is discussed because of how rich, deep, and textured the tonality is as pitch and emphasis is varied.

Anyway, let's start with Miriam-Webster's Dictionary:

Tone (noun)
1 : vocal or musical sound of a specific quality <spoke in low tones> <masculine tones>; especially : musical sound with respect to timbre and manner of expression
2 a : a sound of definite pitch and vibration

Timbre (noun)
: the quality given to a sound by its overtones: as a : the resonance by which the ear recognizes and identifies a voiced speech sound b : the quality of tone distinctive of a particular singing voice or musical instrument

Overtone (noun)
1 a : one of the higher tones produced simultaneously with the fundamental and that with the fundamental comprise a complex musical tone :

Not saying anyone else shod use this metric, it's just what my impression of what tonality means

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon7.gif
Read Message
Previous Topic: JBL 052Ti data?
Next Topic: Outdoor speakers