Home » Audio » Speaker » Line arrays: 3 way(4 way) or two way
Re: Line arrays: 3 way(4 way) or two way [message #61083 is a reply to message #61075] Mon, 28 September 2009 22:50 Go to previous message
darkmoebius2 is currently offline  darkmoebius2
Baron
selahaudio wrote on Mon, 28 September 2009 18:05
Well if you don't want a crossover point in the 1-2.5K range then you probably should consider another type of design.
Sorry, I guess, in my long-winded story, I forgot to make the point that the ESP's showed me it was possible to have that fullrange single-driver type of coherence in a multi-way system - even without SET amps.

Is it possible the 1st order crossovers play a bigger part in the sensation of coherence than the actual crossover points?

In reality, it is probably the whole enchilada - drivers selection, crossover points & slope, cabinet, and complete speaker design. But, I'd sure like to know if anyone has noticed whether 1st order x-o's sound significantly different than others when well executed.

Marlboro wrote on Mon, 28 September 2009 18:58
So I take it that you don't have a line array?
Nope, not yet. I'm still in the heavy research phase. I only make major system changes once every 5-7 years, that includes 1-3 years of research, hemming and hawing, and false starts.

So, I still have a long way to go in the learning department since this will require totally different amps(bi or tri). Since my current system is all single-ended, I'd like to go fully balanced/differential from end to end.

I hope to get out and hear a few commercial designs in the next month or so. It turns out that Audience is HQ'd about 2 hours away from me in San Diego, so that might worth the drive. And there is a pair of Tonian Pipedreams (improved Pipes) for sale about an hour from me.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: New sale price on a Vifa 3.5 incher
Next Topic: Symmetrical and asymmetrical slopes in crossovers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 17 05:52:50 CDT 2024