Home » Audio » Speaker » New sale price on a Vifa 3.5 incher
Re: New sale price on a Vifa 3.5 incher [message #61060 is a reply to message #61058] Mon, 28 September 2009 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
selahaudio is currently offline  selahaudio
Baron
Marlboro wrote on Mon, 28 September 2009 13:45
RE:

"What I would suggest is buying one to test and then you can determine where it should cross. With an array you have more flexibility because the driver isn't being pushed as hard; however, the phase shift still affects the integration with the sub."

Isn't phase shift always an issue with passive crossovers, and inherant with the 12 and 24 db/octave ones? And while you can build a phase coherent electronic crossover, they are nearly impossible to do with passive ones in the bass midrange due to uncontrolled resonances?

I was under the impression that though electronic crossovers are not immune, there is way less impact with them.

Marlboro

P.S.: there is a really good article on phase, time and distortion in loudspeakers by Rod Elliot at http://sound.westhost.com

Rod gives permission to quote his articles but not exact pages. Go to the site and look for the main index, articles index, and scroll down until you find the on entitled "PHASE, TIME AND DISTORTION IN LOUDSPEAKERS".

No Eric, I'm talking about the driver's "Q" and how that affects the crossover and integration with the subwoofer. That's why your Sammi drivers fall short because they don't provide enough overlap to support a lower crossover point.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Line array differences: small vs large mids
Next Topic: Line arrays: 3 way(4 way) or two way