Home » Audio » Speaker » Why would I not? (Trying to decide reference system over a line array)
Re: Why would I not? [message #60984 is a reply to message #60961] Tue, 22 September 2009 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
selahaudio wrote on Mon, 21 September 2009 13:49
I don't understand how you propose that Jim Griffin's science should be adhered to but that verifying the results with measurements isn't important. DIY's post their measurements all the time and there's plenty of information available on how to purchase the equipment / software at a reasonable cost.

I think that verifying the results are particularly important if:

1. you are selling your design

or

2. your are selling your speaker

I think that you should be prepared to measure the results and modify the system if you need to do so, as JP has had to do with the help of GR systems and perhaps you also. He was uncomfortable with the voicing.

I think that every builder should have a minimal testing system consisting of a high quality measurement mic and appropriate software. I have a calibrated Apex 220 mic, Fuzzbuster measuring software for my Mac Powerbook, and a DOD 830Q equalizer. While this is probably not good enough for professional use, for a DIYer who might have some concerns with his system, its more than adequate.

I did not measure the system, despite my intention to do so since the hearing was the trick for me, and it sounded great. If I was building for someone else, I would measure in their music room. But I was building for ME, and I'm fully satisfied.

Hope that answers your question about my position, and also my ability to do minimal measurement of both frequency response and distortion.

Kind regards,

Marlboro

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message