Home » Audio » Speaker » Crossover Question about building line arrays
Re: Crossover Question about building line arrays [message #60978 is a reply to message #60941] Tue, 22 September 2009 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wendall Evans is currently offline  Wendall Evans
Esquire
I'm really confused now. But I'm editing this post.

OK.... I went back to the posts and realize that I have some questions from the above posts:

1. Selahaudio says: " I advise against a non-DSP crossover because they typically only have symmetrical slopes and little ability to contour the response for baffle step and driver anomalies."

What's wrong with symmetrical slopes. Often people who want to contour the system will buy Constant-Q 1/3 octave two channel equalizer so that they can contour exactly they way they want for any driver anomalies. As to baffle step, I had some software awhile ago that showed that the larger the number of speakers on the baffle, the less impact baffle step issues were(db loss dropped to below 1 for more than 10 speakers in the baffle)

2. Selahaudio says: "If you're using tweeters with lower sensitivity (domes and some planars) the active crossover will help you balance the output of the lines." I was under the impression from my software that the sensitivity increases with the number of speakers in the array. However, the Dayton neos are already at 91.5 db sensitivity which is pretty high I think. But am i wrong to assume based on the software I have that using say a line of them the sensitivity might rise to as much as 108?

3. The PT2 crossover is also recommended and I would wonder why? This little item failed miserably on Zaph audio's test since its the same as the Silver Flute Yag-20. Also while the Dayton Neo's have an fs of 2000, Their manufacturer recommends a cross of 3500. I should think that using them in a large number with a steep slope electronic crossover that you could get them down to the mid 2000's without much difficulty. Is there something here that I don't know?

Thanks in advance for helping me with my questions.

Wendall

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Bose Line Array
Next Topic: Widerange midwoofers, specs, and x-o pts...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 09:52:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio