Home » Audio » Movies & Music » The Beatles Box Sets
Re: The Beatles Box Sets [message #60841 is a reply to message #60811] Fri, 11 September 2009 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Wed, 09 September 2009 21:22

That's awesome. I'm planning to buy them too.

Wayne, seriously think about preordering the mono set!!

I listened to the 1987 stereo version of Sgt. Pepper and Revolver, then the mono's. The mono's just BLOW AWAY those versions. It's like have a better stereo sound to me when listened on a two speaker system. Obviously not as wide a soundstage, but the space from speaker to speaker is just tremendous. You can hear every little detail. You can actually hear Paul's bass, pounding away as clear as day and low n' strong. The mixing is a little low for my Darling amp (3/4 watt), and is probably down 2-3dB from the 1987 recordings, so it takes another 1/3 on the volume pot. On the SS amp no problem. This is a good thing though, as it shows very little compression, if any was used at all, and gives the recordings way more dynamic range.

I A-B'd those two albums and then let Roxann listen, who is not familiar with much Beatles. She was absolutely stunned at the difference and actually sat down and didn't say a word for 30 minutes or so. A good sign!!!

I'm backing them up as flac files using EAC tonight before listening any more.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Summer Sci-Fi
Next Topic: Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 07 20:16:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects