Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Subwoofer position with Seven Pi corner horns?
Re: Multisubs with Seven Pi corner horns [message #60789 is a reply to message #60785] Mon, 07 September 2009 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, I've used subs (actually multisubs) with cornerhorns. This is the best sound system I've ever heard, but you have to have a room with the right corners to do it.

With my DI-matched two-ways, I usually run what I call "flanking subs" so I can lift the mains up on stands. The idea is to have subs close enough to run at fairly high frequency without localization problems. This smooths floor bounce.

You don't need flanking subs with cornerhorns because the bass bin and midhorn are blended in the lower vocal range. This blending does the same thing as the flanking subs - it smooths the modes in the upper modal range, the last ones up near the Schroeder frequency, before they become so tightly spaced as to become indistinguishable. This frees your placement choices somewhat. Subs don't need to be placed close to the mains, and in fact, are probably better when placed further away and low-passed lower.

I don't think there is a good rule of thumb that can be used for identifying the best placement for subs, except one: More is better. The more subs you have, the less important it is where each one is placed. If you have just one, there is no real good placement. With two or three, I would use CARA to find the best positions to put them in, and then fine tune with measurements. With four or more, put them anywhere convenient (except grouped together) and you can expect good results.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 4-pi box size !!!
Next Topic: 3pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 13:53:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects