Home » Audio » Speaker » second array already in the works
Re: second array already in the works [message #60730 is a reply to message #60728] Mon, 31 August 2009 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Eric J is currently offline  Eric J
Viscount
The PT2's are a good consideration. I've heard planars before but I specifically wanted domes. The Pipedream white paper sums my reason up clearly:

"We see from various manufacturers heroic design techniques applied to individual drivers. This is usually because such drivers
are being asked to do too much. Our line array directly circumvents this problem avoiding the need for tortured driver design.

"An important result of this is the use of soft dome tweeters which, while not ideal at extremely high drive levels, are surpassingly transparent when not overdriven. In a Pipedreams array, they virtually cannot be overdriven."

Besides, while I wanted to keep it cheap, I wanted a very flat FR and the transparency of using 30 domes. The dynamic range and vanishingly low distortion of having each dome picking up only 3% of the total music per side, was the reason. There is no way that 6 Planars could match the transparency and incredibly low distortion of 30 domes.

But everyone must make their own decision for what ever resources they have available.

Eric

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Comb Filtering Misconceptions
Next Topic: Dedicated horn loaded mid -- big disappointment.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 16:27:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio