Home » Audio » Speaker » shouting voices (annoying shout specially in male voices)
Switched the RS180's for Danny's GR m165x? [message #60696 is a reply to message #60688] Fri, 28 August 2009 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Eric J is currently offline  Eric J
Viscount
JP,

Let me get this right.....

You replaced the Dayton RS 180's on your Craig Selah R-8's with these very expensive GR m165x's at about the same price, ostensibly because you wanted a paper cone.

The last time you were commenting on the lack of "tone", ok with clarity, but lack of tone.

Is that where you stand now?

Back then you were posting as JP Haggar, and i was posting as Marlboro(my name on Parts Express).

Danny's site posts a frequency repsonse on the 165's. There is a clearly identified hump from 350hz rising 5 db and falling again to 550 and 650. There is also a rising hump at below 100 and up to 250. Neither of these things should be a problem unless perhaps your enclosure is reinforcing these frequencies, and you don't have enough stuffing to absorb it. You may have reinforcing back flow. Are the speakers in their altogether, or is each midrange in its own separate enclosure?

Something is reinforcing the two humps in the frequency response of that speaker. This was one of the reasons why my mid ranges were put in completely separate 4 inch x 23.5 inch tubes, and then stuffed with 4lb cu ft fiberglass: Elimination of any crosstalk between the speakers reinforcing negative characteristics of each other, and prevention of any muddying sound coming back through the speakers(which is not directly audible, but contributes to boominess in certain frequencies.

I'm also wondering if its a characteristic of line arrays to find yourself presented with a forward sounding vocal, just as you would find if you were in a small club listening to the vocalist in person. There are many characteristics that a line array projects from an actual performance that you just don't have in a point source speaker system no matter how good. Perhaps you are making comparisons of your line array not to the actual performances but to point source speaker systems that you have heard over the years.

Eric J.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Horns vs Arrays
Next Topic: Play it again Sam: Share about your line array!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 12 02:02:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio