Home » Audio » Speaker » New Pipedreams and woofer/driver horiz spacing...
Re: New Pipedreams and woofer/driver horiz spacing... [message #60652 is a reply to message #60640] Fri, 21 August 2009 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Eric J is currently offline  Eric J
Viscount
Both of these speaker systems are completely proprietary. You do not know what speakers they used, what the crossovers are or how they are configured, or how the boxes are constructed.

In Rick Craig's case, I'm sure his system works great. When I put mine together and posted it here with 16 -3 inch midranges per side, he seriously questioned it, particularly the use of the 3 inch midranges. Dr. Griffin chimed in that he would have preferred ribbons to my dome tweeters but that it should work beautifully, since i followed his paper to the letter. And it does!

Amazing that it wasn't too much later that he produced a kit very similar to the system I designed. Imitation is the greatest flattery. I wish he'd gone to the electronic crossovers and tri-amplification as well as complete separation of each mid range speaker from its peers, but that would have required a much larger building process, and lots more expense.

My main point is that without these proprietary builders telling us exactly how they built them(Rick Craig is partly excluded from this since he and Dr. Griffin are good friends and he tends to take Dr. Griffin's research literally), we are relying on how smart they are. After 60 years of being taken(and not taken) for a ride by smart people who do dumb things, I'm not willing to buy something expensive simply because they were made by someone who talks about how smart they are.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: HE indoor/outdoor speaker ideas?
Next Topic: Smoothing Effect on FR of multiple speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 18:14:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout