Home » Audio » Speaker » New Pipedreams and woofer/driver horiz spacing...
Re: New Pipedreams and woofer/driver horiz spacing... [message #60640 is a reply to message #60631] Thu, 20 August 2009 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
darkmoebius2 is currently offline  darkmoebius2
Baron
Eric J wrote on Wed, 19 August 2009 08:12
people tend to overlook the fact that you've violated a lots of physics...that it doesn't really sound as good as it should
Well, I'm not sure it's fair to say that the Nearfield Acoustics guys don't have a firm grasp of the physics involved in speaker/array design.

Quote:
Mark Porzilli, a former child prodigy, was able to wire simple circuits and draw schematics at age 5. He completed a masters level education in Physics, Quantum Mechanics and Chemistry at age 14, after winning a national competition to miniaturize electronic circuitry for Bausch & Lomb at age 12. That same year, he designed biofeedback electronics for several New Jersey hospitals, and entered two state science fairs, winning first place in both.

George Bischoff studied at the renowned Berlin Technical Institute. He designed with Mark Porzilli and built the first American ribbon line-source speakers, using the legendary Strathern ribbons from England, which garnered accolades in the pages of Stereophile magazine in the 1970s and early 1980s.

Mark designed all of Melos Audio's solid state and vacuum tube products with George Bischoff from 1979-1999. He is also the designer of the original, award winning Pipedreams Loudspeakers. He is the designer of the new Scaena Line Source Loudspeakers (RLA), rave reviewed by Harry Pearson in The Absolute Sound, January, 2008: www.scaena.com.

And I don't think even Dr Griffin would claim his white paper is the end-all, be-all to everything regarding line array design. I view it more as a primer on the subject for lay people that distills the far more technical analysis in it's reference papers. So, simply because the paper doesn't specifically address the design features found in both examples I provided, doesn't mean that they are not technically valid.

Rick Craig, designer of the Symmetrica array, responded on his Selah Audio forum at Audiocircle:
Quote:
The spacing of the two woofer lines is important because it effects how they couple around the crossover point. The wavelength rules are affected not only by the woofer diameter but also the driver's dispersion.
Not sure I have the slightest idea what he's getting at, but it does give me some homework to do.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: HE indoor/outdoor speaker ideas?
Next Topic: Smoothing Effect on FR of multiple speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 04:16:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout