Home » Audio » General » Attracting Non-Audiophiles To High End Audio
Re: Attracting Non-Audiophiles To High End Audio [message #60627 is a reply to message #60558] Wed, 19 August 2009 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
PR Audio is currently offline  PR Audio
Chancellor
I'll try to contribute more thoughts here when (if) I can get a little more time, but, 1st, you all have made some quite good observations.

Steve, in specific response to your comment about quality, I think that when it comes to many areas, people have simply been "dumbed down", and manufacturers for the most part now expect this type of consumer. In other words, most manufacturers don't think their customers will really expect all that much from them, and customers figure that's how they'll be treated and approached, and are too lazy(?) / busy / whatever to do anything but oblige them.

It's much like my old assistant at Credence: She figures ALL politicians are crooks, so, (paraphrasal) "might as well vote for whoever promises the most goodies and hope they come through with some of it." No attempt is made to hold said politicians to a higher standard. (I really think this points toward a sort of moral decay in our society, but I suppose that's a subject for an entirely different thread!)

Going back to "high end" (or even halfway decent audio), what we have is a vast majority of people who don't hold themselves or vendors of audio products to much of an expectation. Probably the most common phrase I hear is "Oh, I probably couldn't tell the difference" (in sound quality). But, the great majority of people to whom I get a chance to demonstrate the difference, between simply "good" sound, and the average of what people are listening to, CAN tell a difference, and some, when they find out that they can "build up to it", and not have to spend a whole ton of money, get interested in doing so. The main thing is to get 'em interested, and I think that's Fred's point about what he's trying to do.

At LSAF '09, a group of us ended up in Keith Larson's room, late Sat., and this was one of the topics that came up, at least in relation to getting more attendance at LSAF, general interest in audio, and so on. I made the suggestion that somehow combining some sort of audio demos / shows with other events that already draw people in would perhaps be useful. I'm toying with the idea myself. For example, from Section 270.65 of the Illinois Administrative Rules for the "DuQuoin State Fair":

Section 270.65 Policy of Permitting Space Without Monetary Charge

To promote the dissemination of free information and/or to provide for the free entertainment of fairgoers, the Department may provide space and/or facilities to exhibitors without monetary charge for industrial, cultural, educational, trade and/or scientific exhibits, provided that the exhibits fit into the general theme of the State Fair, space is available, and no direct sales to the public are made on the fairgrounds.

So, potentially I could go up there and put up a "non-sales" type exhibit, and many thousands of people would walk by, daily. Then I just need something to get some of 'em to come in. (My 21" woofer? Free Lemonade? Free Water? [Hey, Murdale Water District, #3 in the USA for best water in 2006!])

Ok, granted, an outdoor fair in August in So. IL might be, umm, "sticky" (hot and humid.) And I'd have to come up with a tent / booth. But, there are all sorts of other kinds of events and festivals, too...

I have some other thoughts regarding getting people interested, through the avenue of A-V. I'll try to get some time to get those thoughts organized and posted, uh -- sometime!

Come visit!
www.praudio.com/site/

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Ordering from Parts Express - ART discount?
Next Topic: Stripping 24 ga. wire w/teflon insulation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 05:00:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout