Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Finished Pi 4 with photos
(Now they're REALLY) Finished Pi 4 with photos [message #59584 is a reply to message #59503] Wed, 01 July 2009 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Psychoacoustic is currently offline  Psychoacoustic
Viscount
One of my Dad's favourites was "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Too true. The JBL waveguide on DE250, in general, sounded very good. But after having identified and rectified the anomaly that was nagging at me, (vocals were too pronounced, or 'shouty') and rectifing this problem, I wouldn't say that it was an automatic alternative for the H290 without modifications to the standard crossover. It was an interesting, educational experience which I presume demonstrated the concern that was raised about the '... position of the forward lobe and null(points)'. Comparing the dimensions of the JBL and Eminence H290 horns, there appears to be a significant difference in length (throat to front edge).
On the first audition, it was clear that the sonic difference between the horns was not subtle. The H290 was smooth, balanced and very easy to listen to at all volume levels. Detail and imaging were really outstanding- three dimensional. Anecdotally, listening to a fairly lackluster pressing of the Beatles 1968-1970 (blue album) revealed subtle nuances for the first time and breathed new life into the album.
Still have some postion experimentation to do regarding tilt and height. Will consider trying some rigid fibreglass sound absorption on the ceiling just forward of the speakers.

Below is a photo of the (grubby) project with H290 fitted.

index.php?t=getfile&id=41&private=0

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message