Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 7 Pi treble edge! (How to try and reduce this?)
Re: 7 Pi treble edge! [message #59340 is a reply to message #59329] Thu, 04 June 2009 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
PaulW is currently offline  PaulW
Viscount
Well I did check the valves (tubes) both on a tester & by substitution and they are all fine. I also just put music through the DE250 in isolation as I can unplug each element of the crossover and it sounded fine, with no distress at all (though I'm only using a 2A3 amp so didn't run it too hot). You mentioned the poor packing before and I popped out the diaphragms for a look-see then, there was no damage/debris. The only thing I'm now a bit concerned about is that all the pictures I've seen of the DE250 show it with some kind of colour coded screw terminals - mine have push fit spade terminals. In all other respect they look identical and they were sourced from a reputable dealer - perhaps I'll ask the UK distributor.

So I'm once again coming down to the room needing a little work. I have some wall panel acoustic foam tiles and some wall hung rugs. So over the next few weeks I'll try putting together some ceiling treatment as the only 'blank' reflective area left. Probably acoustic foam (wedge) tiles mounted on a lightweight panel and suspended on chains so the gap between panel, ceiling and its angle can be varied thank goodness I have a dedicated listening room.

Also, I should add that the 7's are still the best sounding speakers I've owned and quite a few other people have been very impressed with them. I do tend to find ALL new speakers I've listened to (in the last 20 years) too bright or hard in the treble region, so there is of course the element that is 'me' to consider perhaps I just like old speakers with recessed treble!

One day I'd really like to hear them in a large room as I suspect that it's this element that is really holding them back.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message