Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Australia
Freedom of Association? [message #58900 is a reply to message #58899] Wed, 19 July 2006 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
OK, MB, I'll bite.

I'd guess there's a pretty good argument that such a law in the US would be unconstitutional -- unless, perhaps, the voting options included the right to cast a ballot that said, in effect, "I choose not to vote." Freedom of speech generally includes freedom of association, and freedom of association generally includes freedom of non-association -- that is, I have the right not to associate with (i.e., not to be linked to in such a way as to appear to agree with or endorse) any person or group I don't want to associate with. If you make me vote for a candidate -- or even if you make me vote for anyone (via a write-in ballot) -- you are arguably forcing me to associate with that person.

Having just written the above, I then surfed around a bit. There does indeed seem to be a suggestion that mandatory voting would be unconstitutional unless an "NCA [No Candidate Acceptable] option" were included. Here's an article by John Dean (of all people).

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Ralph Reed; End Of The Christian Right and Power?
Next Topic: Syria
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 09 10:51:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout