Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » New York Times Leak
Re: A classic example [message #58858 is a reply to message #58857] Thu, 29 June 2006 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Something along those lines. Many of the outfitters in the area I grew up in basically lease or buy prime deer hunting ground and manage the herd with feed, culling of "inferior genetics", blah blah blah, then hunters pay to hunt there. Hobby hunters, professional hunters, guys who have TV shows, own camo companies, you name it. I hunted on a lot of this ground for free (well, we helped out the landowners with their work when they needed it, gave them part of our meat at the end of the hunt, etc...) for nearly 20 years. In the last 5 years it has all been leased by either outfitters or just hunters with the cash. To hunt a trophy size whitetail deer on some land I used to have permission on is between $6-10K, depending on antler size. Multiply this for 6-12 people per week, from the 1st of Oct. till the last day of Dec. Good money even after lease payments and insurance. If I'm going to pay money like that I can go to Africa and hunt for two weeks all inclusive. But I've never been a trophy hunter. I filled the freezer when it needed to be, and took mature animals to keep the herd balanced when needed. Don't get me wrong. I, like most whitetail deer hunters like to take an animal with big antlers. It's an ego thing. That and most bucks with large headgear get that way because they are careful, so the hunt for them is far, far harder than a young one. I've know guys that hunted the same deer for 6-7 years and never got a shot. But I never went out of my way to really pick out a specific one. Most the time I was just glad to out in the woods where it's peaceful. Half the time I'd leave my bow in the vehicle.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message