Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » More IP Nonsense
Re: More IP Nonsense [message #58131 is a reply to message #58130] Wed, 22 March 2006 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
They claim that they own the game; that the game is an entertainment entity and the stats are an integral part of the game of Major League Baseball as defined in their corporate charter.
There-for all events that generate stats also have an existance within the past present and future composition of the game. Because the stats are a tradeable comodity with value they treat it as say a book wherein the writings are an integral part of the book.
This is the sort of twisted logic you get when you try to circumvent justifiable belief. If I believe that the stats have value then that value attaches to whatever entity I decide to form to utilise that value.
The way I see it; the stats only have value when I prevent someone else from using them. They have no value unto themselves. Thats the Fatal Flaw in much of the IP reasoning.
Thats why I believe that within the next ten years the courts will decidedly narrow the definition of IP; there is no other fair way to treat it. Otherwise you get nothing but situations like the MLB debacle. Or the Apple itunes mess where you actually purchase a song but can only play it on an apple unit. I don't think anyone can make a case for that sort of abuse.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Spoke too soon
Next Topic: Wiley Coyote MB?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 19:18:53 CDT 2024