Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Still no coherent explanation of what legislating from the bench means
Re: Still no coherent explanation of what legislating from the bench means [message #57290 is a reply to message #57289] Wed, 02 November 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I thnk their job is to see existing legislation, and events, and see if they agree with the meaning of the constitution. So, yes, they need to have a clear understanding of what the target legislation/event is, and what the constituion means. They then rule the legislation/event constituional or not.
So, if State A's legislature proposes a law, and the SUpreme COurt rules it unconstituional, then the law is struck down.
Similalry, if the Congress passes a law, and it is found ot be unconstitutional, it is struck down.
Unconstituional would mean inconsistent with the laws in the constitution.

A strict contructionist would interpret the consitution narrowly, while one who "legislates from the bench" would read all sorts of things in the constituion that are not there.

I have no idea about the 3/5 of a person, i don't see that in the constitution.

-akhilesh

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Yeah but it worked and there will be hearings thank God
Next Topic: Nice; Rumsfeld opens new prisons on the site's of the old concentration camps.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 14:03:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio