Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Still no coherent explanation of what legislating from the bench means
Re: Still no coherent explanation of what legislating from the bench means [message #57283 is a reply to message #57280] Tue, 01 November 2005 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Here you have raised an issue where Constitutional liberals an conservatives will never find common. It is a moral issue and different segments of the population have different views.It is clear that the Founding Fathers desired that any issue be settled at the smallest possible political entity. In the case of right-to-die, you are correct that it was not possible to determine the break-point between life and death nor to do anything about it if it were possible three centuries ago and so, there is no mention of right-to-die in the Constitution. Therefore, this issue is assigned to the States by default. It is out of the purvey of the Federal Government. The only way that the U.S. Supreme Court can get involved is if the laws of a given State were incorrectly applied, but not to rule on the merits of the issue itself. To rule on the merits of the case would be a clear example of judicial legislation: Creation of a law that did not exist.

Now, you may argue (I'm not suggesting that you are) that some issues are so important that the Federal government has a duty to bring all people into compliance with correct and moral behavior, but was not this the cause of the War of Northern Aggression? I refer you back to my first sentence above.

Bob

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Yeah but it worked and there will be hearings thank God
Next Topic: Nice; Rumsfeld opens new prisons on the site's of the old concentration camps.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 14:01:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio