Home » xyzzy » Tower » Pet Peeve
Re: Pet Peeve [message #55349 is a reply to message #55348] Thu, 29 June 2006 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hey Bill; actually in terms of formal reviews thats a whole nother subject. I really posted about show reports and how people handle them. See usually the folks who exhibit in the local shows and area gatherings all know each other or know of each others work and there seems to be a strong loyalty bid from the friends that contribute to the written descriptions of the shows. I was basically wondering how the concept of unbiased reportage is approached in that situation.

To write about formal reviewers is pointless in my view. That job comes with a lot of baggage so as we all know anyone reading formal reviews must excersize a small dgree of healthy scepticism. I know it has always been my habit to try and read between the lines in those type of reviews and see what the reviewer is really thinking. Because we know you can't bite the hand that feeds you; but there are ways to do the end run around that.

At local shows it would; i assume, be in bad taste to flame someones efforts; but we also know some are not so great. If you as the writer find yourself praising a piece that seems to be universally panned by others; but it belongs to a friend then what and how do you handle it?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message