Home » xyzzy » Tower » Another Bush victory....
Re: I would rather tax less and spend less... [message #55235 is a reply to message #55233] Wed, 10 May 2006 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
Oddly enough, I think we are coming to an agreement here. My choice of language in the earlier post was misleading. I should have specified annual deficit, and rereading my post it implies overall government deficit. None of them have done anything to reduce it. Merely slowed it's growth, but the point is, it has seen less growth with the Dems than with Republicans. Partly due to the fact that Democrats will tax to finance programs and spending, and Republicans cut taxes and borrow to do the same thing.

In an earlier debate with mb, which I neglected to get back to, I argued also that entitlements should be whacked. Why is social security tax capped? (Huge tax break for the wealthy) Why is retirement age 62-65 when lifespan has increased by 10-15 yrs since the thirties? When the bboomers retire, the party's over. Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid must be addressed. All the other programs, except for the military, are spit in the ocean. They are the 600lb gorilla.

As to control of the houses, Senate and Congress, it's been a lockstep. The democrats have been locked out of committees, agendas, and legislation. The republicans were a far more effective minority party than the democrats. I like split control. Republican president, democratic houses, Democratic president, republican houses. Everybody has to compromise.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: The Deficit and why George wants one
Next Topic: Didn't Bush Swear They Were Only Looking At International Calls?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 19:26:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio