Home » Audio » General » evil mp3s..sharing
Re: evil mp3s..sharing [message #540 is a reply to message #539] Mon, 14 June 2004 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I agree with you for the most part. I think that artists and promoters should probably like MP3 distribution, 'cause it's like radio play and can really help a small group get off the ground. So it's good for them. But then again, the small groups probably aren't complaining. They probably are happy about the distribution network. After all, it isn't always easy to interject yourself into radio station music rotation but it is incredibly easy to put yourself on the internet.

But for those that complain about the situation, I suppose it is their right to object, and to seek damages, if they feel they are due any. The public may see this as strong-arm tactics, and it could hurt record labels and musicians if they are viewed as bullys. A rock band that sells mostly to the 13-21 year-old crowd probably doesn't want to start taking kids and their parents to court, because it could easily alienate their audience. That would make just too juicy news for the tabloid press to pass up.

So unless I'm in on the real scoop, up close and personal, I'm going to withold judgement. Appearances can be decieving, especially when being presented by a news media that makes money pushing stories. A person can't really know what the issues really are except on a case-by-case basis and only then if you're one of the people involved. In general, I think the real truth of these kinds of situations is quite shielded from public view. It's really not like the true story is going to be told, so unless you personally know the players involved, it's pretty hard to get an accurate picture. There's just too much spin. That's my take on it anyway.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message