Home » xyzzy » Tower » The Passion - Mel Gibson
Re: You may be right.... [message #53882 is a reply to message #53881] Sun, 22 February 2004 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm probably not equipped to enter into a discussion about anti-semitism or any sort of stuff like that. Watching, hearing or experiencing certain events actually makes my adrenaline flow, which then puts me in a sort of fight-or-flight mode. I've always been one of those guys that wants to go kick ass about bad stuff. But that tends to perpetuate the problem and I guess that means that my initial reactions are sometimes not what I'd like them to be.

So I'm silent about anti-semitism, anti-muslimism, anti-christianty, anti-hinduism or anti-atheism. Damnit, I left out the Buddists and the Zoroastrians. Well, I'm gonna be silent about their dissenters too. Seems better to be "for" something than "against" something, but I'm sure in no position to judge. I just hope that I can be cool sometimes.

I agree with your idea that intolerance and bigotry act as a sort of barometer of social unrest. It does seem to come in waves, and it does seem that people are more tolerant when they are secure and happy. I guess that's pretty much a no-brainer. When we see someone that is intolerant, we're probably looking at someone who is scared, angry or hungry. Something like that. If we see a whole culture become that way, then a large part of the culture is probably scared, angry or hungry. The ones that aren't are probably agitated by the ones that are, so the social mood swells.

I also agree with your hypothesis that gang mentality might be a survival mechanism for humans, with long roots back into tribal cultures. That is an interesting observation, and one that I agree with. Sounds reasonable. One would like to think that if they were in a culture that was doing something really stupid, they would buck the system and go towards the side that wasn't being so stupid. But I don't guess we get to see how we'll really react until we're in the soup.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message