Home » xyzzy » Tower » America's Space Program
space program [message #53839 is a reply to message #53838] Fri, 16 January 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
artsybrute is currently offline  artsybrute
Baron
Well, I'm a bit more cynical I guess.

I think our society is set up now so that the real power of politicians lies in their control of huge amounts of money and in making new laws. Without the promise of that power, most of these people would not go into politics.

So taxes will be huge no matter what. And if we're taking in too much, then we/they'll find a way to vent the excess. Look, we just had a trade surplus not that long ago, now she be gone.

I strongly believe a bunch of our money should go to space programs. This may be the only window of opportunity we have for doing the basic studies that could expand us beyond this rapidly depleted and polluted ball of dirt. If India and Pakistan or the Koreas, just as examples, have a blowup, it could end our ability to devote resources to expansion.

Just because we can do it now doesn't mean we'll always be able to. And just because it's promised in a campaign year doesn't mean we will.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message