Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What I've been doing between hospital visits
Re: Nice [message #53529 is a reply to message #53527] Wed, 13 May 2009 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Power tranny is the Allied, OPTs Trancendar and the choke, Triad 6H; all mentioned on the Tubelab pages. I used a mix of KOA Speers (kiwame look-a-likes) and the liddle red PRPs with copper Obbligato .22 couplers. Why .22? That's what I had!

The 4" tall Hammond (it was on sale at Allied) box conceals 3 of those 20uF Aerovox motor runs in parallel I scored last year. Total cost about $250.

Wayne-O, there's 421 vDC at the plate. George's tables show about 5 watts for 6L6 with that voltage and a 5000ohm load, the 6550 may do a little better, perhaps 8.

I have a few other 12AT7s just haven't had a chance to slip them in yet. If the 6550s are responsible for the weak output on one side another pair is just $60bucks from BOI.

Now I'm wondering how I never had a 6550 amp before...this is one ballsy toob...maybe I need to build one of those P-P circuits with 4 per side and heat the house this winter.

Had Barbers weirdo "Modern Cool" on tonite; she's very inventive if nothing else and the CD has fab sound. Hey, maybe that's the new amp shining thru....naah, couldn't be, too few hours and too much DCR!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 2 Pi Tower Plans