Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi: floor mount or stand mount? / plans needed
Re: Positioning and subs [message #53089 is a reply to message #53088] Thu, 15 January 2009 13:12 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The four π speaker uses a horn to provide uniform directivity. It is what I call a directivity-matched two-way loudspeaker. Both the three π and four π speakers are this type. What they are designed to do is to crossover from a direct radiating midwoofer to a horn tweeter where directivity matches. This provides better spectral balance off-axis.
I like to use a 90°x40° radial horn with constant directivity in the horizontal plane. This provides good room coverage across a wide horizontal arc. It also limits output at large vertical angles, which do nothing but increase unwanted ceiling slap.

Another type of loudspeaker I make takes this one step further, but requires corner placement: The π cornerhorn. The six π and seven π speakers are cornerhorns. Corner placement limits the pattern to 90° even at low frequencies, where radiation would normally be omnidirectional or at least very wide. This arrangement forces radiation to be limited to 90° all the way down to the Schroeder frequency, making the most constant directivity possible. A midrange horn is also used which has 90°x40° coverage and is implemented with a crossover strategy similar to the DI-matched two-ways, providing uniform 90° horizontal coverage and keeping a pure wide forward lobe of 40° with vertical nulls set outside that.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Subwoofer Recommended for 2 Pi Towers?
Next Topic: experience with compression drivers.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 16:52:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio