Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Premium Stage 4 Pi Owner, been away for a while
Re: Room modes [message #52231 is a reply to message #52230] Fri, 20 June 2008 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Colin is currently offline  Colin
Chancellor
Thanks for the response Wayne; what you say makes allot of sense. I'm just left wondering if it really applies to me.

I should take a picture and post it so you could see my basement layout. The room is actually rather well-damped. Left side wall is floor-to-ceiling bookshelves full of books, the other wall has a very soft flip/flop couch which is basically a big fabric-covered foam absorber. I could perhaps treat the wall above it a bit more, but beyond that, not sure what else. The basement room itself is a VERY large room, but its divided into two sections with the listening area and the listening position in the back half. The listening/viewing position is a leather reclining loveseat in the middle of the room, which sort of acts as a bit of a room-divider, along with a bit of a proscenium "arch" which runs up each side wall, and approx 10 inches across the ceiling (likely a support beam). Floor is tight-weave carpet with a fairly substantial pad underneath. Seriously, I'm a semi-professional musician (weekend warrior, actually) and my basement's acoustic signature actually resembles some recording studios I've worked in.

The fact that I can A/B the PI's with my home theater speakers, which in this room sound SO MUCH better, I'm left wondering if perhaps there is a problem with the PI's. The upper mids and highs on the Pi's just aren't nearly as clear and clean as the 1" Vifa D27 silk-domes and 5" Vifa M13 woofers in my ACI Emeralds. Is this newer B&C compression driver significantly better than the PSD2002? Does anyone build with the Kilomax woofer anymore? Is the Omega better?
I'm also curious - has anyone ever considered/measured the resonance of the big aluminum heatsink on the front of the Kilomax, and what colorations it adds to the overall sound of the system?

thanks,
Colin

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Pi 7 thread on HiFi WigWam
Next Topic: Hey Wayne, long time no talk!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 16:21:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio