Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 7 Pi bass cabinet
Re: Excellent! [message #52191 is a reply to message #52190] Tue, 10 June 2008 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
PaulW is currently offline  PaulW
Viscount
Yes they are Bottlehead Paramours - I also use the Seduction Phonostage and Foreplay Pre.

OK, the sound, well I have to say that on initial start-up I was disappointed with the results of all my hard labour. The sound was dull, dynamically restrained, with a shut in quality to the vocals, with the overall sound best described as small, bass had a thrummed quality rather than well delineated and was not too clean - not a good start to say the least. So, do these need to be run for a period of break in?

I connected them to my AV amp and used a CD system 'burn-in' track on repeat overnight and throughout today. This evening they are far better, there is more punch to the sound, things like 'mark trees' have a real shimmer to them and Hi-Hat rides are clearly discernible from normal cymbal strokes as are both rim and centre strokes. Vocals are open and detailed with good timbre and emotion, a vast improvement on yesterday and I’m far happier. The only issue is that thrummy bass – most of the time it’s fine so I suspect this is a room interaction. The problem would appear to be in the low 100hz region (110-140) at a guess, but I’ve no way of really measuring this, but I suspect a DIY panel resonator will be on the cards shortly, though I’ll wait until I feel the speakers have stopped changing. I also suspect a MagneQuest transformer upgrade wouldn’t go amiss to aid overall control as well.

I don't know if any of the above has been noted by other builders, but the change over the last 20 hours has been quite dramatic to say the least!

Paul.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Wayne, can I have the plans for the seven pi 18?
Next Topic: 4 pi x-over with Kappa pro 15lfa
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 15 02:15:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout