Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, crossover and L-pad confusion
What about 16ohm drivers [message #51854 is a reply to message #51850] Tue, 26 February 2008 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
Viscount
Hi Wayne.

I use Altec 902-16HF drivers in my front and center PI7 speakers, this is the normal 902 driver with a 16ohm voicecoil.

After playing around with Spice and measuring the driver with the crossover, I arrived with these values:

R1 = 33ohm
R2 = 12ohm
C1 = 0.22uF

This gives a load of about 9.5ohm on the crossover, where the normal lpad with the Eminence driver, gives a load of about 9.4ohm.

All good so far, but I really can´t seem to remember how to calculate how many db´s this lpad is damping.

Do you have another chart for 16ohm drivers on hand ?

I have another question regarding lpad with topend compensation.

After much consideration I have bought four Eminence Beta 8A drivers, and eight BMS4524 drivers with 18Sound XT120 horns for my bipole surround speaker project.

I will be running the BMS4524 drivers in series for a resistance of 14-16ohms.

Can I just use the same lpad as above (if the sound levels match), or are there a better way to do this ?

I was thinking of using a single coil on the woofer, and a third order crossover at about 2200hz on the hf drivers.

Btw, these drivers are excellent, they sound really nice and the horns are good too.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message