Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Quarter wave ported box?
Re: Quarter wave ported box? [message #51742 is a reply to message #51740] Wed, 16 January 2008 21:11 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes it does matter where the port is placed, particularly in the situation you describe. You can definitely have both Helmholtz resonation and quarter-wave standing wave resonation, simultaneously.

Martin King has a spreadsheet that is designed to model this exact scenario, so you might want to download it and explore your options if you are considering this kind of system. I used it to model the two π tower, although I was trying to do the exact opposite thing you are talking about. I wanted to position the port and driver to minimize quarter-wave resonances, so that the only thing that had influence was Helmholtz resonance. Sounds like you want to maximize quarter-wave resonance in addition to Helmholtz resonance.

To me, the two mechanisms are pretty similar really. The standing wave nodes of a horn or pipe act much the same as Helmholtz resonation, so neither is "better" to me. I make horns, which are very similar to standing wave pipes, essentially a wide-band form of them. I also use bass-reflex speakers, which use Helmholtz resonators. The only reason I wanted to limit the standing wave nodes in the two π tower was that I had chosen to work with the Helmholtz property and to use it to tune the box. But since the box is tall and thin, standing waves will result inside and I wanted to position the elements where the nodes had the least influence.

With Martin King's spreadsheet I was able to accomplish this, and measurements of impedance and response show it is purely a bass-reflex box as a result. If I hadn't placed the driver and port in the right position and used damping material in the box, the speaker may have had unintended resonances that made it act differently than I had intended. So I was impressed with the ability of the MJK spreadsheets to model the effects of standing waves inside the box.

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Midhorns to load down to 200 Hz?
Next Topic: Pi Two Tower / Pi Two
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 15 10:18:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout