Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Blow Fuse!
Re: Blow Fuse! [message #50572 is a reply to message #50569] Mon, 22 January 2007 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you're considering replacing the bulbs with a fuse or breaker, you should know that they're going to have to be de-rated. They aren't very effective for tweeter protection. The reason is that currents in the tweeter circuit are high frequency and the fuse is designed for DC. It isn't designed to respond very quickly. I found that fuses had to be pretty heavily de-rated to be effective.

Honestly, bulbs work better for tweeter protection than any fuse or breaker I've seen, as they compress the signal rather than fusing. The bulbs only blow if the signal is much higher than expected or if the load is open or shorted. I suggest that you get out a meter and start quantifying things. Check the voltage level of the amplifier when the bulbs blow. Those bulbs don't cost much, so it isn't any trouble to make a few tests that push them to the point of destruction. Also, check the impedance across the crossover's tweeter output. Check the voltage across the tweeter output. Once you know more about what's happening, you can make a more informed decision how to correct it.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Stage, Audiphile(?) or Professional?
Next Topic: First listen to the 3-way; I call them the......
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 10 03:29:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio