Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Learned some more audio truth outdoors
Re: Learned some more audio truth outdoors [message #49952 is a reply to message #49947] Tue, 05 September 2006 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The thing that surprised me about room boundaries is how much they reinforce total volume too. I took out my amp to do some outdoor testing on speakers I built earlier this year and was very disappointed by how loud I had to turn the volume knob to get decent volume. Thought it was driver inefficiency. A week later, took the speakers inside, had the volume knob set at the outdoor level and was greeted with ear-splitting volume when I pressed play.

I was also burned for not considering room-effect on bass when I built my 5 cu ft cabinets for a pair of JBL 2235. One the computer model, the port tuning was supposed to be flat down to 30Hz. But in-room, the bass was overpowering. Through trial and error, I found that a sealed cabinet worked best. I'm beginning to understand the Japanese's taste for early shallow rolloff vs late and sharp.

gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Bass trapping with corner horns
Next Topic: 9Pi mid-bass horn dimensions???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 11 19:29:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio