Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Yo, Garland! Oil caps at last
Re: North Creek [message #49226 is a reply to message #49225] Sat, 01 April 2006 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
The scoop is that while I always find things on audio product websites that make me roll my eyes, I must say that I agree with all of the subjective descriptions in their promo materials. The Crescendo caps are the most obvious. They really are sweet yet detailed. North Creek also says they are laid back, which I agree with on my Acoustats, but they do not sound laid back with the PSD 2002 on a CH3. Very neutral with the 2002 plus a surprise. The surprise is you better use a meter the first few time you listen loud. The horns do not hurt at all, even at +115 dB at 10 feet or so (DJ duty). I am lucky to have a friend with an almost Identical speaker and the same crossover (except all Solen and Dayton parts) so I can compare whenever I like.

I can't quite tell from my photos, but I believe I'm running a Kimber 5.6uF, North Creek Zen 2.0uF and North Creek Crescendo 1.0uF bypass on the 8uF stack and as best I can tell there are Zen's in 10uF & 4.7uF a Kimber 5.6uF and a Crescendo 1.0uF bypass on the 22uF stack. Not so much a formulation, more like what came out of deconstructed projects. The spacing of sizes is pretty good for a luck shot though. I also have some Crescendo 6uF that have been in the circuit for evaluation. They are overkill in a mixed stack IMHO, and more useful in other speakers to me. The kimbers seem to bring the snare ribbon, sax bite and vocal edge up a little, which my ears need at this point.

Thomas

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Mica foil capacitor
Next Topic: ManualBlock; my back is killing me!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 00:13:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio