Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » inductor and mid driver questions
inductor and mid driver questions [message #48497] Thu, 29 December 2005 08:44 Go to previous message
braddog100 is currently offline  braddog100
Chancellor
I have recently started my exploration into spkr technology. Desiring to build cabinates for my kids from older cerwin vega 12" based 3 ways I noticed attempting to reverse engineer to build another set, that the Inductors of the same value are conciderably larger from DIY supplier, also the measured resistance of the old very thin wire inductors is close to .5 ohms.

The replacement had 0 ohms. Parallel with an 8ohm spkr driver, doesn't this matter? also the origonal had a metal core.

Is this superior?

Desiring for the mid to carry 500 - 4000Hz, is there a prefered mid for this job?

Also interestingly, I found a web site with a passive component calculater with both Butterworth and Linkwitz - Riley values.
www.bcael.com/xoorder.htm I also noticed that the high pass inductor value differs greatly from what I origonally had, though I'm sure they are less relevant than low pass inductors.

Should I redesign the Xovers to fit the component values from the calculator?

Both kids have very high grade solid states, pioneer 1050s with extensive capacitor upgrades. Muse Es thru out audio path,
cascading etc.

I would concider any suggestions carefully, observing the level
of expertese on this site to be high.

I understand that there are no stupid questions, but, are there
many inquisitive idiots? Brad

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 2Pi Tower tuning