Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Big Amp mating with a 4 Pi
Re: Big Amp mating with a 4 Pi [message #47418 is a reply to message #47415] Sun, 31 July 2005 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
OTL are they? I would stay with the high power; the 4's thrive on it.
Seriously I have tried lots of amps on these and the big SS powerhouse names like Threshold work best but I have a sleeper amp that we stumbled upon during a tryout. If you can't find a used class A SS amp.
The Audio Research D-120b. SS and pretty cheap around 600$ or less used. Talk about the perception of power: this is it. Very massive sounding.
Tube wise; the best was the Harmon Kardon Citation II. In fact we are listening to that combination now, my friend has it here for storage since he's moving. 60 watts per side but huge transformers.
Still; I personally like the 50 watt Threshold myself. The Class A runs hot but the sound is much more musical.
Wayne has most definately voiced these for big SS watts; not that they don't work with tubes but they like SS. This of course is all my opinion and to be taken with a grain of your personal salt. I only offer that I love these speakers and have tried many of my acquaintences amps on them. They do rise to the level of the equipment, don't be tempted to sell them short with cheap amps; you will regret it.
Sorry if this is irrelevent to your question.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers.
Next Topic: coaxial driver in midhorn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 12 04:38:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout