Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 Pi tower baffles
Finishing BB [message #47401 is a reply to message #47400] Tue, 26 July 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
To add more detail to what Matt said, BB is nothing more than layers of birch veneer sandwiched together to form the plywood. In 19mm BB, you have 13 plys. The surface you end up with is no different than birch veneer. The option to finish it is endless and there's a lot of good suggestions in the Craftsman forum. Epstein has a few good posts about his oils.

Don't sand it down until all the construction is complete. You don't want get your surface smooth only to have it pick up new scratches when you're making that one last cut. I find birch pretty porous so I like to sand it down to 220 grit. I start with 150 Aluminum Oxide, to 220 Aluminum Oxide, and then 220 garnet.

I find BB looks very nice with just an oil wipe-on finish. Tung oil will tone it gold and make the grain pattern pop. Do a search in Craftsman for oil and there lots of info.

Colouring BB can be a bit tricky because it has a tendency to blotch. Sanding it down with 220 garnet helps a bit with even coating as it burnishes the grains. If using oil/gel stain, a coat of conditioner first will help with blotching. Again, Epstein had a post in Craftsman on how to make your own conditioner (or you can just buy it off the rack).

This year, I discovered and fell in love with water-based aniline dye. The colour is deeper, richer and more transparent. Unfortunately you have to go through the extra steps of grain-raising, but for me, I think its worth the effort. To keep this dye from blotching, I first spray the surface lightly with water and wait one minute for it to absorb before applying the dye.

Gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Reflex volume of 4PI Pro - about 2.5 ft^3 ?
Next Topic: Plans For 1 PI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 11:40:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout