Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Alpha drivers and more (long)
Re: Save some trouble....(unabashed plug) [message #46832 is a reply to message #46830] Fri, 06 May 2005 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
aborza is currently offline  aborza
Esquire
Wayne,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the larger Alphas seem like a good choice for dipole use. They do have nice TS spec's for the purpose, but distortion and delayed energy (not to mention cone breakup/frontal lobeing) are serious issues too.

Yes, uniform frontal horizontal response as far off axis as possible is one of my goals.

Re: front vs rear lobes, most high-end guys (Linkwitz and others) feel it is not desireable to duplicate the frontal radiation above about 1.5 KHz. It seems the HF power response into the room will be too hot by the additional energy above 1.5 KHz. On the other hand, a simple tweeter can be used on the backside for additional "air," if necessary. I have found it is not necessary.

Yes, polar response is essentially determined by driver diameter. But quality polar plots can tell you a great deal about cone breakup. That is the reason for my interest.

The Eminence guy that replied to my info request was Chuck Banta. I suppose he is a customer service guy. Do you have an email address for the guys you mentioned. Or should I call and ask for them directly?

Thanks

ab

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Which kit has the highest musical fidelity. Studio 2 or tower 2?..nt
Next Topic: Horn Damping Resistor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 19:57:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout