Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » large woofers, small room, sound quality?
Somewhat hard to compare... [message #46599 is a reply to message #46598] Tue, 29 March 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Garland garland is currently offline  Garland garland
Chancellor
...Since I pretty much switched systems all at once, going from 200Watt Adcom amp w/ the 86dB Vandersteens to Paramour 2.5W 2A3 amps with the Theater 4s. The most noteworthy improvement with the tubes and Pi's was in the presentation of the musical landscape, ie. soundstage. Instrumental images are more full size as if the musicians are in the room with you. There is hollow body to stringed instruments and columns of air eminating from wind instruments. Vocalists are standing in front of you, and are moving their heads and filling their lungs. With the other system, the music was beautiful but more restrained and missing the little clues to the actual real performance. Now I have macro and micro dynamics at the same time. Minor changes in the circuitry of the amps or preamp are readily audible, not just "I think I hear a difference". The listening sessions are sometimes very relaxing and other times are very exciting. I always can't wait to get a chance to listen! I have only moderate desire to up-grade or move on to other equipment, which for this neurotic, compulsive tweaker is really saying something.
Another characteristic of this tube/Pi system is how very different each recording sounds from each other! With lesser systems, there is a certain kind of glomming together of sound. This system really pressurizes the room in a unique way with each recording. This pressure of sound is where so much of the illusion of being transported to the recording venue resides. When I hear it even before the music starts, I am easily able to suspend belief and am transported back in time to be in the presence of the artists as they lift their instruments and commence playing. previously, I've only really heard this kind of sound from the best analog/ vinyl systems but this is with a modest CD player/ DAC. I can't wait for the kids to grow up a bit more so I can unpack the old TT, build a Phono preamp, and really cook!

Hope this helps!

Garland

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: New power amp IC's as AudioExpress
Next Topic: Full range with seven pi corner horns?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 07 03:18:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio