Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 2 Towers.....help
Re: Pi 2 Towers.....help [message #46188 is a reply to message #46186] Tue, 25 January 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I went through a lot of mods on my Towers, each provided me with better sound, but at the same time, introduced higher costs to the speakers.

The first was replacing the piezo tweeter with an Eminence APT80. The cost of the APT80 was reasonable, but the components required for a pair of high-pass filter pushed the cost up. Looking back, it wasn't a worthwhile mod. The KSN1038 tweeter is actually a very good driver and there are various ways to tweak it to your taste. In fact, I'm using a pair of it as UHF in my JBLPro system.

The second mod was replacing the tweeter with a PSD2002 compression and crossing over at 1.6KHz. I called it my "Thermionic 2 PI" and it bumped the Towers up into the next class. Big improvement, but the cost for a pair of compression drivers, horns, and crossovers was a big investment. Unfortunately, my front baffle was cut exactly to plan and I did not have enough room to fit in the horns. The horns sat on top of the cabinet for several months. If your baffle can fit a pair of horns, this would be the mod I recommend.

The last mod was attaching Wayne's midrange horns on the Alpha10 to emulate the 8PI. That was a lot of fun too.

Gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Theatre 3 and 4s