Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Crown Studio Reference amps
Re: Crown Studio Reference amps [message #46129 is a reply to message #46084] Sun, 09 January 2005 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Kevin N. is currently offline  Kevin N.
Esquire
With due respect, I come from the pro audio end of things. I listen with both my ears and eyes. By this I mean that both can be fooled. Inter conects CAN make a differance, how ever anything more then a 15$ cord does not. I will say that the TYPE of cable is - balanced vs unballanve , 75 ohm, shielded ect. is important, .. how ever 99.9% copper is not.

Amps. Most amps sound the same when operating at low levels - it is when you start to push them that they start to sound the way they sound. I have only "heard" the referance amps once, in the studio so I can't comment on them. However, I have found that crown's pro amps are very good, I have lots of use out of teh crown a 5000 ( 5000watt+ in bridge mono) running subs, and for a long time that was teh defact standard for touring. That is getting unseated a bit by QSC and the powerlight series though (PL 9.0 and 6.0 at 9000watts and 6000watts respectively).

What I can tell you for sure is that the amps are like the 1 bit that has teh LEAST impact on sound. - converts in teh CD player (and the clock they use) does make a differance, but the top 2 most imporant parts are room and speakers.

if I had to rate them-
45% - room
35-40% - speakers
7-10% - cd player - or record play - or 8 track......
5% - amp
.001 % - use of fancy cable sets

if you want to see wht you are hearing get a 40$ mic (ecm8000)and get teh demo for sia smarrt.

any way its late talk to you later.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Building 2 pi Towers