Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » horn types?
Re: horn types? [message #46061 is a reply to message #46060] Thu, 23 December 2004 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You could certainly pair an APT tweeter with an Alpha 8 or 10 speaker, and I'd expect good results. You'll need to pad the tweeter down to match, and you'll want a crossover slope that blends well. Very do-able.

I've used a handful of successful arrangements for speakers like these. The eight π loudspeaker uses an Alpha 10 on a midhorn and reflex-tuned rear chamber for the bass. I use a PSD2002 with 1.6kHz crossover. The one π, two π and two π tower speakers use a smaller tweeter crossed over higher. For many years, I used the KSN1038 piezo tweeter and I could count on very good performance from that part. But it looks like I'll be switching to the Vifa DX25 soon because the KSN1038 has been discontinued.

The KSN1038 is a compression horn driven by a small cone diaphragm. Performance is good particularly for the money. But supplies are nearly exhausted, and I'm not sure if and when CTS will find a buyer for the tooling. So I've redesigned to use a Vifa DX25 dome tweeter, which is silky and smooth. They're more expnsive, but they do sound nice.

I considered using the APT tweeters when making the change, but I decided on the Vifa DX25 instead. I used a first-order filter on the Vifa, and I suppose that might work on the APT too. But unless a person is very careful with input power, I'm not a fan of first-order crossovers on compression drivers. It's too easy to over-drive them and send the diaphragm into the phase plug.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Piezo info
Next Topic: Virginia Beach Area Pi Speaker owners?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 07 10:52:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio