Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » horn types?
Re: horn types? [message #46053 is a reply to message #46052] Tue, 21 December 2004 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Not only did I sell all of this stuff at one time, I also worked in service and installation. I hear you about value and quality. I decided all my stuff would be as DIY as possible after seeing some of the stuff that goes on. Not to mention the mark-up and seeing the insides of the speakers.

If you are going as high as 60-80 per midwoofer you can get some great stuff for that. Sure there are all sorts of exotic drivers out there, but many of them are difficult to properly implement and many of the most succesful designers have largely ignored the tweaky stuff, so I guess thet tells you something.

I am not saying you should't do the center. I think it will be fine. What I think is very specific to what I am building and why I build it. I think that goes for all to some degree. We audio lovers all have our particular bent. the ones who haven't got one yet have a fascination of the week while they find out what they really like. I urge anyone to not take us too seriously. The guys with the most help to offer also tend to be further entrenched in their topology of choice. I like 2 channel good old stereo. I like solid state as zealously as tube guys go nuts for triodes. Some go nuts for vinyl or horn only systems(even giving up bass, couldn't do that). To me it's the more the merrier, and I want to hear all of this cool stuff, but I know what I want to come home to.

Anyway, the center may be a great place to start. It will be cheap, and you can have a simple project that will get the bugs out of your building process. When you have it where you want it, make a few more. The one thing that gets a lot of DIY HT guys is the skrewed up TV tube from stray flux. A lot of great drivers have no sheilding. I have had friends glue bucking magnets on with good results, but no experience of my own. Since you are doing smallish speakers, I would have all clones. You could put an APT driver on a beta 8-CX and have a coax that would be a good main, surround or center. I am sure someone could point you toward figuring out the crossover so you had good phasing and summing at XO freq. I have thought about making some of these for studio monitors for my computer, Maybe I will get around to it after Christmas.

Thomas

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Piezo info
Next Topic: Virginia Beach Area Pi Speaker owners?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 04:48:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio