Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » horn types?
Re: horn types? [message #46051 is a reply to message #46050] Mon, 20 December 2004 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Hi scp53,
Don't be fooled by the size of the APT 50. It is actually just as loud as it's bigger brothers and might make the bones in your ears click. Why not use a Klipsch rc-25 to match. Not to ignore your obvious intention of incremental upgrade, but a 104 dB sensitive supertweeter is an unusual place to start. The APT 50 may be cheap but it is a serious supertweeter for a dialog speaker. if you are going to match up everything sometime soon that's different. Your 8" has to go up to about 4K with smooth response. spl below 94 would be a shame, but then spl above that isn't that common in a cheap 8". You can pad the horn all you want, but for me, smaller resisters are cheaper than bigger amps. Cheap, good 8"? Alpha 8! but then just go with 1 Pi's. unless the piezos are all gone by now, or do an APT variant of it. As far as timbre matching, my guess is no dice. Different cutoff, different flare shape and crossover frequency, and a different diaphragm material. I can't think of many more ways to change the character of a high frequency horn. Not to mention the paper 8". My bet, it isn't going to sound like the Klipsch, but it would probably be very nice sounding. You can't really hope for timbre matching whilst doing incremental upgrades to a roomfull of speakers. But if you went around the room with these and made some incredible subs it would really put the adrenallin in action movies. ...and you would get to meet all the police at one time or another
Thomas

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Piezo info
Next Topic: Virginia Beach Area Pi Speaker owners?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 04:50:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio