Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Loudspeaker Venting and Cooling Techniques
Re: Loudspeaker Venting and Cooling Techniques [message #45807 is a reply to message #45802] Wed, 17 November 2004 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sounds great, Wayne. I would have only two concerns though. First, I would be worried that a one-way valve would introduce a great deal of non-linearity in cone movement. On the backstroke (or frontstroke, depending on the valve positioning), the cone movement would have relatively little air resistance due to the open vent. On the opposite stroke, however, it would encounter more pressure. It would actually be even worse than a conventional, non-vented pole piece, as the cavity in the voice coil would draw in extra air (or push out extra air), and create either a very high pressure or very low pressure region, which could fight cone motion. Seems like a recipe for distortion.

Also, venting the pole piece to the outside to me would cause cancellation. The back of the dustcap creates it's own pressure waves, which could cancel out regular enclosure output.

Thoughts?

Adam

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Some Questions Regarding This PA Subwoofer