Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Re:harshness & sibliance
Re:harshness & sibilance [message #45424 is a reply to message #45421] Thu, 23 September 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
LAL is currently offline  LAL
Baron
James,
I have Stage 4 Pi's along with other speakers with which to compare them. My Pi's are not siblant or harsh on voices. As matter of fact they are to me surprizingly good at voice reproduction. One thing I have found out over the years is that when you listen to reproduced music you are hearing the sum total of all that went in to its reproduction, not just the speakers. Siblance can have it source in the Cds and DVDs you play, it can be affected by your cabling, by the rack you use, by the way you couple your components to the rack, by your room, by speaker placement, and also your speakers themselves. I would not assume your problems are necessarily with your speakers.
My 4 Pi's sound much better by placing them away from room corners and a foot or two off the floor. I suggest you try this. If your room is rectangular you might try them on the long wall instead of the short wall. You might also take a serious look at accoustical room treatment. The room itself can be the major factor in how your system ultimately sounds. One way to find out if it is the speakers or the room is take your speakers outside and play them there away from room interference and see how they sound on some good cds with male and female voices. If they sound ok there then it is not your speakers and it is probably your room or speaker placement in the room.In your pictures its appears to me that you have a narrow room with the speakers on the floor near corners. If this is so it is a near guarantee that they are not going to sound particularly good. Why don't you try bringing your 2 Pi's from the rear using them as left and right speakers and use one of 4 Pi's as a true center channel speaker and see how it handles dialog in a new position(and if possible raise it off the floor a foot or so).
I find that using a separate center channel speaker sounds better than using only the left and right with a simulated center channel. My experience is that using a single 4 Pi and a pair smaller left and right speakers produces a much better result than a left and right pair of 4 Pi's without any separate center speaker. My Stage 4 Pi does a spectacular job as a dedicated center channel speaker. Before I'd set out building another pair of speakers I would take a long look at speaker placement and room treatment.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Anyone use a diferent tweeter for the studio 2?
Next Topic: Pi 2 question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 10 02:27:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout